What is it about Thai food? The way you can get the perfect combo of sweet, sour, savoury and spicy all in one perfect mouthful. And it’s so beautiful!
I got the inspiration to do this, from The Stingy Vegan
These meal bowls are a seriously time-saver! you cook the rice, cook your choice of protein and the sauce, chop of the veggies. Assemble the bowls before serving, or let your dinner guests or family make their own.
Pro-tip; Swap the rice with quinoa, noodles. Use the veggies you like – or have in the back of your fridge.
- 1 1/3 cups (260 grams) jasmine or basmati rice
- 1 cup (240 ml) coconut milk
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 3 tablespoons oil, divided
- 2 small shallots, finely diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, grated or minced
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 2 tablespoons Thai red curry paste
- ½ – ¾ cup (120 – 175 ml) warm water
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- A chicken breast 300-400 grams
- 1 medium-large carrot, finely sliced
- ¼ of a red cabbage, shredded
- 20 cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered
- 3 tablespoons of sour cream
- 1 small mango, diced
- 4 tablespoons crushed peanuts
1. Cook the rice according to the package directions. Once it’s cooked and while it is still warm, stir through the coconut milk and salt.
2. While the rice is cooking prepare the sauce. Heat a medium pan over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon of oil, the shallots, garlic and ginger and fry, stirring, until soft and fragrant. Add the paste and an additional tablespoon of oil if necessary and fry for a couple of minutes until the curry paste darkens in color and is very fragrant. Put in the chicken at let it fry. Add ½ cup of the water, soy sauce, lime juice and brown sugar and mix until smooth when smooth add the sour cream.
3. Divide the rice and top with chicken, the vegetables, and peanuts.
Enjoy the colorful bowl of food – if any leftovers enjoy for lunch 🙂